Meet the team
Amy Smith Speech Pathologist
Amy graduated with a Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Monash University) and Master of Speech Pathology (La Trobe University). Amy is incredibly passionate about Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) which led her to work in Specialist School settings for several years. She gained valuable experience working with children with a diagnosis of: Autism Spectrum Disorder, Cerebral Palsy, Down Syndrome, Global Developmental Delay, and various other congenital disabilities. During this time Amy attended many different workshops to develop her skills in AAC.
Since beginning at Interact Speech Pathology, Amy has become increasingly interested and invested in updating her knowledge on social thinking and pragmatic communication. She was fortunate enough to attend the PEERS for Young Adults workshop (Social Skills Training for Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder and Other Social Challenges) and the Social Thinking workshop series in 2020.
Amy enjoys tailoring therapy to include a child’s special interests and is dedicated to working collaboratively with families to help children reach their full potential. In her spare time, she enjoys spending time with her dogs, crafting and Pilates.
Amy has attended professional development or completed training in the following programs:
- Certificate II in Auslan (to be completed at the end of 2022)
- Language Acquisition through Motor Planning (LAMP)
- Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display (PODD) communication system (including alternative access)
- Hanen Program (More Than Words)
- PEERS for Young Adults (Social Skills Training for Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder and Other Social Challenges)
- Secret Agent Society
- Social Thinking workshop series
- Sounds Write – First Rate Phonics